Monday, March 21, 2011

Blog 7: Making Visible (Background, Part 1)

My skin is the color of “cosmic latte.” I found this out after browsing Wikipedia’s list of colors. On one hand, it’s sad to think that my outside reflects a universal nothingness. But perhaps I can take comfort knowing that I’m a visible connection to the cosmos. After all, every human has a teaspoon of the particles from the Big Bang inside our bodies. (I found this out when I went to the Natural History Museum in NYC last week.)

If I try to stay still long enough while sitting in the sun, my skin turns into an alarming shade of pink reminiscent of creamy tomato bisque. It’s for this reason that I constantly slather on sunscreen if I begin to think there’s a chance of sun exposure. That, and I am terribly afraid of following in the footsteps of so many fair-skinned comrades and developing skin cancer.

But all of this is beside the point. Last week during spring break I visited Puerto Rico. As a very fair skinned (and redheaded) continental American, I could almost physically feel that I was expected to act in specific ways, think of specific things and desire specific wants. I was a gringa on vacation.

I noticed the look of surprise on the faces of fellow bus travelers when I chose to take the 75-cent public transportation into the town center instead of a private taxi. When waiters asked for my orders in English, I would continue to respond in my own version of broken Spanish.

I ordered local dishes like Mofongo and Mallorca rolls, not cheeseburgers and cereal. Why would I travel to a (somewhat) foreign destination and be satisfied with the same experiences and food that I could find at home?


As the week went by, I wondered how the prompt in our class (see below) connected with my current experiences. The picture above was taken from a public ferry dock looking out towards a construction area near San Juan. I would never have accessed this public area if I had stuck to taxis and private tours. Yet it represents an authentic Puerto Rico to me: a run-of-the-mill scene set in a beautiful paradise. As I saw this image unfold, I realized that it visually portrayed the emotions I was trying to reflect upon. On one side of a man-made fence, local construction workers go about their quotidian activity. I, however, am left watching from the other side. I'll create a story about this in my next post. (See Blog 7: Making Visible (Story, Part 2))

Why is it intrusive for a visitor to ignore prescribed tourist routes? I was not loud or bothersome, but I felt as if I was expected to become so. It is a sad state of affairs when the mere existence of a polite, self-contained, cosmic-latte-skinned woman becomes visible by challenging the status quo.

Assignment: Find something that invites the public into a different route or routine, i.e., a pause in their typical everyday way of seeing and moving through space and time. Take a photo, sketch it, or make it visible in your blog post. Create a story that contextualizes the everyday routine way of knowing and how the something that you found (or placed/did) in that everyday environment disrupts, challenges, or changes public action and knowledge. 

2 comments:

  1. March,
    Did it say where the rest of the particles from our body came from?
    It's strange what identities we take on when we think we've been assigned them, and what identities we try to avoid when we feel we are being forced into them.
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie didn't say, but I've been looking it up trying to find some sort of explanation. The best I can find is through PBS's site, although I get lost in the middle...
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/mysteries/html/gleiser-1.html

    ReplyDelete